Welcome to East Indies Art

Cart

Showing all 2 results

Borobudur

Rp 150,000

Borobudur

Rp 150,000

Reproduction of a chromolithograph of Borobudur temple complex in Central Java, after J.C. Rappard from M.T.H. Perelaer’s Nederlandsch-Indie Java Door De Buitenbezittingen published in Leiden in 1883. The last quarter of the 19th century was a period when colour printing was becoming a mechanical process, and book illustration was becoming increasingly reliant on photomechanical methods of production. A work which provides striking evidence of these changes is W.A. van Rees and M.T.H. Perelaer’s Nederlandsch-Indie, which was first published in four folio volumes by A.W. Sijthoff, Leiden between 1881 and 1883, with 103 chromolithograph plates mounted on very heavy paper after drawings by Jhr. J.C. Rappard, who served as a military officer in Indonesia for thirty years between 1842 and 1872. What makes this otherwise undistinguished work one of interest in the history of Indonesian illustration is not so much that the plates reflect the insipid character of chromolithography of the period, but that they are after drawings executed not directly from nature in Indonesia, but in Leiden from photographs. From such an uninspiring source it is hardly surprising that the plates are dull and lifeless, typical of the photomechanical age of printing which was now beginning, and which eventually led to the photographer replacing both the artist and artist-engraver as the principal agent of book illustration.

Size image: 23 cm x 17 cm

 

Taman Fatahillah

Rp 150,000

Taman Fatahillah

Rp 150,000

Reproduction of a chromolithograph, after J.C. Rappard from M.T.H. Perelaer’s Nederlandsch-Indie Java Door De Buitenbezittingen published in Leiden in 1883. Shown is the Town Hall of Batavia. This building was the administrative headquarters of the Dutch East India Company and later of the Dutch Colonial Government. The current building was constructed in 1707 by the city government, replacing the former city hall built in 1627. Governor General Abraham van Riebeeck inaugurated it in 1710. As the city continue to expand southward, the building’s function as city hall (Dutch gemeentehuis) ended by 1913. Nowadays the Jakarta History Museum (Indonesian: Museum Sejarah Jakarta), also known as Fatahillah Museum or Batavia Museum, uses this building.

Size image: 23 cm x 17 cm